Robert L. Durham, Ph.D.
Robert L. Durham, Ph.D.
Professor Robert Durham was a professor of psychology at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs from 1973-2021. After obtaining his doctorate in experimental psychology at Vanderbilt University, he moved directly to Colorado Springs. At UCCS, he taught a variety of topics, many centering on methodological issues (e.g., program evaluation, research design, multivariate statistics, and psychometric theory). He was a principal investigator (or co-PI) on numerous grants and contracts. He authored/co-authored over 60 publications and presentations. Dr. Durham was involved in research concerning the assessment of attitudes towards child sexual abuse and the etiology of sexual offending. He brought a strong psychometric and methodological background to this content area.
- Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Vanderbilt University, 1973
- M.A. Vanderbilt University
- B.A. University of Colorado Boulder
Areas of Interest
Psychometrics, statistics, program evaluation, and differential attitudes toward and etiology of sexual abusers
- PSY 3100 - Statistical Models in Psychology
- PSY 3150 - Psychology of Motivation
- PSY 3850 - Principles of Psychological Testing
- PSY 4110 - Seminar in Methodology
- PSY 4510 - Seminar in History of Psychology
- PSY 5830 - Applied Multivariate Techniques I
- PSY 6510 - History of Psychology
- Kretzer, K., Evelo, A. J, & Durham, R. L. (2013). A pilot study incorporating a complementary intervention to reduce hypertension and stress in women. Journal of Holistic Nursing Practice, 27(6), 336-343. doi: 10.1097/HNP.0b013e3182a72ca4
- Coolidge, F. L., Tambone, G. M., Durham, R. L., & Segal, D. L. (2011). Retrospective assessments of childhood psychopathologies by adults and their parents. Psychology, 2 (3), 162-168.
- Leon, B, Ricks, E., Durham, R. L., & Lightstone, P. (2010, December). Pierce County Alliance Meth Family Services: Evaluation of expanded services under U. S. Health & Human Services grant (2007 - 2010). Final report (127 pages).
- Cascaval, R.C., Fogler, K.A., Abrams, G.D., & Durham, R.L. (2008). Evaluating the benefits of providing online lectures to in-class students enrolled in math courses. Journal Of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 12 (3-4), 61-70.
- Rains, J.R., Kelly, C.A., & Durham, R.L. (2008). The evolution of the importance of multi-sensory teaching techniques in elementary mathematics: Theory and practice. Journal of Theory and Practice in Education, 4 (2), 239-252.
- Simons, D.A., Wurtele, S. K., & Durham, R.L. (2008). Developmental experiences of child molesters and rapists. Child Abuse & Neglect, 32 (5), 549-560.
Posters and Presentations
- Bhalla, A., Hanneman S., Durham, R. L., Al-Tabaa N., & McDonald, J. (August, 2014). Psychometric examination of a readiness scale for participants using an online intervention. Poster accepted for presentation at the 122nd meeting of the American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Bhalla, A., McDonald, J., Hanneman, S., Al Tabaa, N., & Durham, R.L. (May, 2014). Differential Psychological and Neuropsychological Functioning By Types of Trauma Exposure. Poster accepted for presentation at the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago.
- Hanneman, S., Bhalla, A., Al Ta-Baa, N., & Durham, R.L. (May, 2014). Differential societal attitudes between juvenile and adult sex offenders. Poster accepted for presentation at the American Psychology and Law Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Bhalla, A., McDonald, J., Hanneman, S., Al Tabaa, N., & Durham, R.L. (April, 2014). Childhood maltreatment and adult antisocial behavior in a military sample. Poster accepted for presentation at the Western Psychological Association, Portland, OR.
- Hanneman, S., Bhalla, A., Al-Tabaa, N., McDonald, J., & Durham, R.L. (April, 2014). Differential Attitudes towards Sexual Offenders: Does the victim's age matter? Poster accepted for presentation at the Rocky Mountain Psychological Association Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Bhalla, A., Durham, R. L., Hanneman, S., & Welsh, E. (August, 2013). Psychometric properties of a hypersexuality scale. Poster presented at 121st annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Honolulu, HI.
- Livengood, M.L., Durham, R., & Klebe, K. (August, 2012). Redeemability Attitudes towards Offenders with Mental Illness: A scale development study. Poster presented at the 2012 annual meeting of the American Psychological Association (Division 5), Orlando, FL.
- Welch, E.A. & Durham, R.L. (April, 2012). Blinded by the mirror: Self-objectification and perception of high risk rape situations. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Western Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Tambone, G., Durham, R.L., & White, E. (November, 2011). Psychometric properties of the CEBQ among a non-incarcerated population. Poster presented at the 30th annual meeting of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, Toronto, Canada.
Honors & Awards
- UCCS Million Dollar Club (Research Funding)
- Faculty Assembly Service Award for the UCCS Campus, 2009