Daniel L. Segal, Ph.D.
Professor Daniel L. Segal joined the faculty at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in 1995. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in Clinical Psychology, maintains an active program of clinical research, and mentors graduate and undergraduate students in his Aging & Mental Health Lab. He was the founding Director of the UCCS Aging Center and currently serves as a clinical supervisor for students in training at the Center. Dr. Segal served as the UCCS Psychology Department Director of Clinical Training from 2007 to 2014. He was the Department Chairperson from 2020-2023.
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Clinical Geropsychology, Nova Southeastern University, 1992-1993
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, University of Miami (APA Accredited), 1992
- Clinical Psychology Intern (APA Accredited), Nova University Community Mental Health Center, 1991-1992
- B.S. Psychology (Cum Laude), Tulane University, 1987
Areas of Interest
Dr. Segal's research program targets topics in the area of mental health and aging. His specific interests include:
• diagnostic and assessment issues in clinical psychology and geropsychology
• suicide risk and resilience in later life
• anxiety in later life
• barriers to mental health services
• the expression and impact of personality disorders across the lifespan
Dr. Segal is a Fellow of the Gerontological Society of America and of the APA Division 20 (Adult Development and Aging), and he has served as Editor-in-Chief of the Clinical Case Studies journal since 2011. He serves on the editorial boards of two other journals (Assessment; International Journal of Aging and Human Development). He has published over 180 peer reviewed journal articles and book chapters, and is co-author or co-editor for 7 professional books.
Professor Segal teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Clinical Psychology and Clinical Geropsychology, and has received two teaching awards at UCCS.
- Segal, D. L. (Ed.). (2019). Diagnostic Interviewing (5th edition). New York, NY: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Segal, D. L., Qualls, S. H., & Smyer, M. A. (2018). Aging and mental health (3rd edition). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley/Blackwell.
- Segal, D. L., Qualls, S. H., & Smyer, M. A. (2011). Aging and Mental Health (2nd edition). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Segal, D. L., & Hersen, M. (Eds.). (2010). Diagnostic Interviewing (4th edition). New York, NY: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Segal, D. L., Coolidge, F. L., & Rosowsky, E. (2006). Personality Disorders and Older Adults: Diagnosis, Assessment, and Treatment. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Thomas, J. C. & Segal, D. L. (Eds.) (2006). Personality and everyday functioning. Volume 1 in M. Hersen and J. C. Thomas (Eds.-in-Chief), Comprehensive handbook of personality and psychopathology. New York: Wiley.
- Hilsenroth, M., & Segal, D. L. (Eds.) (2004). Personality assessment. Volume 2 in M. Hersen (Ed.-in-Chief), Comprehensive handbook of psychological assessment. New York:
Alfaro, A. J., Carlson, C., Segal, D. L., & Gould, C. E. (in press). Distinctions between depression and anxiety with fear of being a burden in late life. Aging & Mental Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2021.1993131
Noel, O. R., Segal, D. L., & Granier, K. L. (in press). Personality, interpersonal problems, and anxiety among older adults. Psychological Reports. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F00332941211061697
Stone, L. E., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (in press). The “lost” personality disorders and their relationships to the Alternative Model of Personality Disorders among older adults. GeroPsych: The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1024/1662-9647/a000266
Stone, L. E., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (in press). Impact of self-reported cognitive dysfunction on the Alternative Model of Personality Disorders among older adults. Aging & Mental Health. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2022.2056141
Stone, L. E., & Segal, D. L. (2022). Social impairment and personality disorder features among older adults: An application of the circumplex model. Personality and Mental Health, 16(1), 19-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmh.1523
Granier, K. L., & Segal, D. L. (2021). Diverse aspects of worry among younger and older adults: A multifaceted approach. Psychology, 12, 441-461. https://doi.org/10.4236/psych.2021.123028
Granier, K. L., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2021). Relationships among executive dysfunction, constructive worrying, and worry responses in older adults. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 92, 322-337. https://doi.org/10.1177/0091415019896227
Pifer, M. A., Segal, D. L., Jester, D. J., & Molinari, V. (2021). Assessment of anxiety in long-term care residents: Issues and strategies. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 93, 807-833. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0091415020943321
Stone, L. E.. & Segal, D. L. (2021). An empirical evaluation of the DSM-5 Alternative Model of Personality Disorders in later life. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 93, 904-926. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0091415020980762
Stone, L. E., Segal, D. L., & Krus, G. C. (2021). Relationships between pathological narcissism and maladaptive personality traits among older adults. Aging & Mental Health, 25(5), 930-935. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2020.1725802
Stone, L. E., Segal, D. L., & Noel, O. R. (2021). Psychometric evaluation of the Levels of Personality Functioning Scale-Brief Form 2.0 among older adults. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 12(6), 526-533. https://doi.org/10.1037/per0000413
van Reijswoud, B. E., Debast, I., Videler, A. C., Rossi, G., Lobbestael, J., Segal, D. L., & van Alphen, S. P. J. (2021). Severity Indices of Personality Problems – Short Form in old age psychiatry: Reliability and validity. Journal of Personality Assessment, 103, 174-182. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891.2020.1743710
Aloiau, A., Benton, M. J., Mouchawar, A., & Segal, D. L. (2020). Impact of end of life planning on surrogate decision-maker anxiety in the US. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 26(2), 75-82. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2020.26.2.75
Gottschling, J., Dörendahl, J., Prell, T., Karbach, J., Bunz, M., Kindermann, I., Moussaoui, J., Spinath, F., Wedegärtner, S., Witte, O. W., Greiff, S., & Segal, D. L. (2020). Measuring anxiety in older adults: Development, diagnostic accuracy, and preliminary validation of a short-form of the German Geriatric Anxiety Scale (GAS-G-SF). Journal of Personality Assessment, 101, 196-204. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891.2019.1677679
Laheij-Rooijakkers, L. A. E., Van der Heijden, P. T., Videler, A. C., Segal, D. L., & Van Alphen, S. P. J. (2020). Development of a tool to detect older adults with severe personality disorders for highly specialized care. International Psychogeriatrics, 32(4), 463-471. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610220000186
Pifer, M. A., & Segal, D. L. (2020). Geriatric Anxiety Scale: Development and preliminary validation of a long-term care anxiety assessment measure. Clinical Gerontologist, 43(3), 295-307. https://doi.org/10.1080/07317115.2020.1725793
Segal, D. L., Granier, K. L., Pifer, M. A., & Stone, L. E. (2020). Mental health in older adults: An introduction for integrated care professionals. Clinics in Integrated Care, Volume 2, 100015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intcar.2020.100015
Urban, C., Arias, S. A., Segal, D. L., Camargo, C. A., Boudreaux, E. D., Miller, I., & Betz, M. E. (2020). Emergency department patients with suicide risk: Differences in care by acute alcohol use. General Hospital Psychiatry, 63, 83-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2018.09.010
Eades, A., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2019). Suicide risk factors among older adults: Exploring thwarted belongingness and perceived burdensomeness in relation to personality and self-esteem. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 88, 150-167. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0091415018757214
Hicks, J. M., Coolidge, F. L., & Segal, D. L. (2019). A psychometric investigation of highly dependent adult children. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy, 19(1), 257-271. https://www.ijpsy.com/volumen19/num1/507.html
Moye, J., Karel, M. J., Stamm, K. E., Qualls, S. H., Segal, D. L., Tazeau, Y. N., & DiGilio, D. A. (2019). Workforce analysis of psychological practice with older adults: Growing crisis requires urgent action. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 13, 46-55. https://doi.apa.org/doi/10.1037/tep0000206
Orbons, I. M. J., Rossi, G., Verheul, R., Schoutrop, M. J. A., Derksen, J. L. L., Segal, D. L., & van Alphen, S. P. J. (2019). Continuity between DSM-5 section II and III personality disorders in a Dutch clinical sample. Journal of Personality Assessment, 101, 274-283. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891.2018.1467427
Segal, D. L., & Granier, K. L. (2019). The promise of technology-driven interventions for older adults: An invited commentary. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 27, 526-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2019.01.003
Segal, D. L., & Mueller, A. E. (2019). Evidence of validity of the Geriatric Anxiety Scale for use among medically ill older adults. Journal of Depression and Anxiety Forecast, 2(1), 1010. https://scienceforecastoa.com/Articles/JDAF-V2-E1-1010.pdf
Betz, M. E., Kautzman, M., Segal, D. L., Miller, I., Camargo, C. A., Boudreaux, E. D., & Arias, S. A. (2018). Frequency of lethal means assessment among emergency department patients with a positive suicide risk screen. Psychiatry Research, 260, 30-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2017.11.038
Bragg, T. L., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2018). Mental health literacy and attitudes about mental disorders among younger and older adults: A preliminary study. Open Journal of Geriatrics, 1(2), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.22259/2639-359X.0102001
Coolidge, F. L., Valenzuela, I., Segal, D. L., & Feliciano, L. (2018). An empirical investigation of a new measure to assess abrasive personality disorder features. Psychology, 9, 114-123. https://doi.org/10.4236/psych.2018.91008
Gatti, A., Gottschling, J., Brugnera, A., Adorni, R., Zarbo, C., Compare, A., & Segal, D. L. (2018). An investigation of the psychometric properties of the Geriatric Anxiety Scale (GAS) in an Italian sample of community-dwelling older adults. Aging & Mental Health, 22, 1170-1178. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2017.1347141
Arias, S. A., Boudreaux, E. D., Segal, D. L., Miller, I., Camargo, C. A., & Betz, M. E. (2017). Disparities in treatment of older adults with suicide risk in the Emergency Department. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 65, 2272-2277. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15011
Vossen, T. J., Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2017). Exploring the dark side: Relationships between the dark triad traits and cluster B personality disorder features. Journal of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Disorders, 1(6), 317-326. https://www.doi.org/10.26502/jppd.2572-519X0032
Xiao-Ling, L., Lu, D., Gottschling, J., Segal, D. L., & Tang, S. (2017). Validation of a Chinese version of the Geriatric Anxiety Scale among community-dwelling older adults in mainland China. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, 32, 57-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10823-016-9302-4
Betz, M. E., Arias, S. A., Segal, D. L., Miller, I., Camargo, C. A., Jr., & Boudreaux, E. D. (2016). Screening for suicidal thoughts and behaviors in older adults in the emergency department. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 64, e72-e77. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14529
- PSY 3280 - Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 3860 - Theories of Psychotherapy
- PSY 6620 - Clinical Geropsychology II
- PSY 6740 - Clinical Practicum (Aging Center)
- PSY 6780 - Advanced Psychopathology
- PSY 6850 - Clinical Interviewing and Personality Assessment
- 1993-present, American Psychological Association (APA)
- 1993-present, APA Division 12 (Clinical Psychology)
- 1995-present, APA Division 2 (Teaching of Psychology)
- 1996-present, Gerontological Society of America (GSA)
- 1997-present, APA Division 12, Section II (Society of Clinical Geropsychology)
- 2010-present, APA Division 20 (Adult Development and Aging)
Honors & Awards
- Chancellor's Award for the UCCS Campus, 2014
- Outstanding Research Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 2010
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the UCCS Campus, 2006
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 2002
Representative & Recent Service/Leadership Roles
- UCCS Psychology Department, Chairperson (2020-2023)
- UCCS Psychology Department, Director of Clinical Training (2007-2014)
- Past-Chair, Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs (2012)
- Chair, Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs (2011)
- Chair-Elect, Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs (2010)
- Member-at-Large, Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs (2007-2009)
- Delegate for the National Conference on Training in Professional Geropsychology (2006)
- Psychologist, State of Colorado
- Psychologist, State of Florida